Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Bicycle Repair

In , Smitty Two wrote:
In , wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:26:22 -0400,
wrote:

Some moron left a pretty decent bike on my lawn (short version) and it
needed a few repairs so I did 'em.. I'm left with one I'm not sure how
to do. The tires have a wobble. Is there a method to the madness of
adjusting the spokes to help alleviate those wobbles??

TIA

To true the wheel, you will need to

Sounds good if the wheel is out of true. OP didn't make it completely
clear that it isn't a mounting issue wobble, which would be simpler.

My experience is that a "mounting issue wobble" is usually loose
bearings, occaisionally a broken axle.

If the bearings are loose, they (along with the "cups" that they
fit in and the "cones" that push them into place) probably also need to be
cleaned and regreased. You will need cone wrenches, and probably also a
book on DIY bike repair.

If you have ball bearings in ring-shaped holders that broke apart, you
need either exact replacement or proper number of "loose ball" bearings of
the ame size. Do not mix new and old bearings within one side of a wheel.
Do not move old bearings from one side of a wheel to the other side, or
from one wheel to another. Unequally worn or otherwise
microscopically-differently-sized bearings within one side of a wheel will
cause the larger ones to experience extra pressure - leading to extra wear
on the larger bearings, and also on the cups and cones. If you replace
any bearings in one side of a wheel or add any, replace them all with
brand new ones all from the same batch.

If the axle is broken, you are in for removing the bearings and putting
them back - cone wrenches required.

If you have sealed bearing cartridges, it gets easier - merely replace
them. I have done that without cone wrenches, but is seems to me better
to have them.

- Don Klipstein )