Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
z z is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

On Oct 31, 11:48*pm, "Logic316" wrote:
My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it
spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak
just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile
gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a
while, would that work?

- Logic316

"Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don't worship it. Feed
it."

they sell plastic pans that fit under the tank to catch leaks; you're
supposed to eyeball it frequently enough, i guess. i presume any leak
from rust will start out slowly, rather than just blow.

i note that commercial buildings around here which install new oil
tanks outside now put them in a large concrete bathtub which would
hold the entire tank contents.