Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Home Depot Stairs

wrote:
Hi, does anyone know where I can purchase the portable stairs that you
see in Home Depot aisles? These are the type of stairs that allows you
to reach the upper racks at Home Depot, and they are on wheels that
you can push around.

I have a 12' high platform that we use to store stuff at our
warehouse, and I am looking for a small material lift or a portable
stairs to allow our workers to get up there with boxes.

We dont have a lot of room, so big lifts are not possible.

Completely off the wall, but in the book "Cyberbook" by Ben Bova (a
thinly-disguised spoof of the publishing industry), Web Press automated
their warehouse. That is, they had robot picking devices that traveled the
aisles on tracks and retrieved boxes of books from the shelves.

Due to some oversight, the robots could only reach six shelves high and the
warehouse had eight shelves (much like your situation). Web Press solved
this situation by hiring midgets to ride atop the robots to enable the
company to reach the two extra shelves. This technique, however, introduced
a new problem.

The dwarves kept falling off the dome-topped robots and either banging their
heads or getting run over by the robots themselves.

The increase in workmens' compensation claims almost wiped out the savings
in mechanization.