Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default sandcasting question

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:59:53 -0600, the infamous F. George McDuffee
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Dar
wrote:

I need to make a bunch of molds in sandcast bronze and would like to
know the kind of sand
to get for finest detail/smoothest finish . They won't be complex , or
even 2 part sand molds, probably just bronze poured onto a flat cope
that has an depression in it and a dam built around the depression .

thanks

DS

I would consider plaster molds for best detail

see
http://www.modernsculpture.com/bronze.htm

Good discourse.

Some of the sculpture there is really interesting, Unk. But what's
with those painter "artists"? My gawd, man. Does that **** really
SELL? I guess they produce the equivalent (or worse) of Rap in
painting. This reminds me why I don't support the National Endowment
for the Arts.

Oliveira paintings, Staprans, Moses, Frohsin, any paint/poetry by
freakin' Rodefer: Ptui! I feel like washing my eyes out.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren