Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Another newbie lathe question

On 2008-10-31, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Part numbers???

On Oct 30, 10:09*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * My most commonly used holder is the Aloris BXA-16N -- a
double-ended holder for negative rake inserts -- one for turning, the
other for facing. *This fits (of course) the BXA style wedge type
toolpost which I got made by Phase-II....
* * * * Insert numbers (from a box I keep on the lathe) -- TNMG-322 C6.
* * * * And I particularly like the threading inserts with the angled
support anvils to adjust for the helix of the thread being cut.

* * * * Iscar or Carmex IIRC -- interchangeable lay-down inserts, and
interchangeable angled anvils between the two. *...
* * * * I go to small (55 degree diamond) uncoated inserts with a very
sharp edge for finish cuts on steel where I care about the finish....

* * * * I can't give you a working part number for these. *The holders
are labeled "Tizit", and the inserts are positive rake 55 degree diamond
shaped with 1/4" IC (I think). *... :-)...

Thanks. The last time carbide came up 'micrograin' was suggested for
light cuts on old lathes. I have the 1/4" and 3/8" TT sets which I use
on stainless and hard cast iron, but they fail quickly by chipping.