Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Marty Escarcega[_2_] Marty Escarcega[_2_] is offline

Default WTD: Old Delta 1/2hp Motor

John Martin wrote in
:

On Oct 31, 9:01*am, Marty Escarcega wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote
innews:d9fa5840-9fc9-4ce0-956d-1b472

:

On Oct 26, 12:34*am, Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looking for an old Delta 1/2hp 3450rpm motor. I believe the body
is 6" in diameter. 3 phase ok...Cheap better! :-)
Marty

For the Toolmaker?

I put a half horse TEFC WEG (Brazilian) motor on mine. From what
I've read the surface finish isn't going to be perfect anyway, they
say 20 microinches. It leaves a visible pattern in the ground
surface that I can break up and remove by cranking the wheel
zig-zag.

Yup, for the toolmaker. Not looking for the "balanced" motor
specifically

,
but the old Delta motor that is 6" in diameter so it will fit under
the cast iron motor cover....
I know they aren't the best surface grinder in the world, but they it
wil

come in handy for my needs and it wasn't all that big. The price was
righ

at $250!

Thanks Jim!
Marty

The motor in mine looks to be an original Delta, although I don't
remember seeing any tags on it. Should be easy to ID, though, as it's
a double shaft motor.

Why they wanted a double shaft motor on the toolmakers grinder I can't
imagine. The front shaft has a guard or cover over it. It comes very
close to the cast motor cover. The motor cover looks like it was made
for that motor, though, as it has a bump out for the front shaft that
seems to be otherwise unnecessary.

Mine is a 120 volt 1725 RPM motor. The belt guard seems designed for
that speed - large motor pulleys driving smaller spindle pulleys to
achieve the correct wheel speeds.

John Martin

You are fortunate John if its is indeed the original. They were
supposedly balanced motors. Thanks for the info.