Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default sandcasting question

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It's good to make a point of the fact that you have to know what you're
doing to use plaster molds for bronze temperatures, or you're in for an
explosion.

I'm thinking plaster is like gypsum and under high heat will give up water vapor. So the
mould would have to be baked to drive it off.

My experience with bullet casting is any water combined with hot metal is catastrophic. I
was using Marvelux for flux, it has an affinity for water and I didn't preheat the spoon I
used to flux with before putting it in the pot. BANG! OUCH!

Wes