Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Do you call that "deflation"?

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:42:47 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
That's the third month in a row that inflation has dropped

snip
Not to quibble but its disinflation when the rate of increase
slows. Deflation is where the actual value of money increases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinflation

It can be argued that the fall in the house value indicates a
deflation, but this would be inconsistent with the way the
increase in house costs did not count toward the inflation
numbers.

Right. I'm not saying we have deflation, only that the rate of inflation is
dropping pretty consistently, despite the inflationary effects of higher oil
prices this year. And the danger is that it will cross the line and become
deflation, should the downtrend continue.

--
Ed Huntress