Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Another newbie lathe question

On 2008-10-31, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Part numbers???

How many of these things do you want the part number from. I've
moved your question to the top, so I can make what I can supply
interleaved with my original text.

On 2008-10-30, Jon Elson wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[ ... ]

* You DO want positive rake tooling, though. *the negative rake is
definitely for the heavy, production machines.

* * * * Well ... that depends. *I use negative rake holders, but inserts
with the special chipbreaker groove which turns that negative rake into
positive rake. *This on a 12x24" Clausing lathe.

My most commonly used holder is the Aloris BXA-16N -- a
double-ended holder for negative rake inserts -- one for turning, the
other for facing. This fits (of course) the BXA style wedge type
toolpost which I got made by Phase-II.

Insert numbers (from a box I keep on the lathe) -- TNMG-322 C6.

* * * * And I particularly like the threading inserts with the angled
support anvils to adjust for the helix of the thread being cut.

Iscar or Carmex IIRC -- interchangeable lay-down inserts, and
interchangeable angled anvils between the two. The numbers are a
function of the shank size among other things. I use 5/8" shanks to fit
the BXA tool holders.

* * * * I go to small (55 degree diamond) uncoated inserts with a very
sharp edge for finish cuts on steel where I care about the finish.
(These were purchased originally for my little Compact-5/CNC lathe, but
turn out to be very nice for certain things on the larger Clausing as
well.

I can't give you a working part number for these. The holders
are labeled "Tizit", and the inserts are positive rake 55 degree diamond
shaped with 1/4" IC (I think). Before I ran out of the ones which came
with the lathe (but was getting low) someone here on the newsgroups
offered some samples for free. Once I got them, I realized that they
were just exactly what I had hoped, and since nobody else had shown any
interest in them, I bought the whole lot from him. Some ground only for
right-hand turning, some only for left-hand turning, and some for both.

Sorry that I have no part numbers -- they came in plastic bags.
:-)

* * * * Of course -- when I need to cut something special, I do grind
appropriate tools from HSS or the like.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564