Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default wire connector in socket box ?

wrote in message
On Nov 1, 10:09 am, "BigWallop"
wrote:
wrote in message

snipped

Two sets of smaller connectors are easier to work with in the small space
provided by a single sized back box. One set of connectors can be placed
neatly at the back of the box, with the other set of connectors placed in

mirror fashion in front. So leaving more room for the conductors to be
dressed safely within the rest of the space in the back box.

Good luck with the project, anywhoo.

Thanks for help, I think they must be 30A connectors but I will check
this. Is it as well to run a second 2.5mm T&E to the spur connection
box and use 4 terminal connectors then ? Is that what you are saying ?

No. What I mean is. You should have two cables supplying the double
socket. These two cables connect from one socket to the other right round
the house. So all the sockets are literally connect together to form what
is called a ring mains supply.

Looking inside the existing single back box, you see the two cables ( grey
cover) which both have a red and black covered conductor and a bare earth
connecting center conductor.

Connecting them together in 30 amp rated block is fine, but then taking a 4
or 6 mm cable to the double socket, would be the proper way to do it. Then
you can safely take a spur off to the new single outlet.

But an alternative is to connect the first supply cable (grey cover with red
and black inside) in a lower rated 15 amp block and take new 2.5 mm cable to
the new single spur outlet. From the new single spur outlet, take another
piece of 2.5 mm cable back to the double socket. Also from the double
socket, take another piece of 2.5 mm cable and connect it with a separate
block to the second supply cable.

What you are doing is keeping the whole ring mains supply connecting with
all the sockets again, but now including your new spur off. So your spur
will not be a spur, but part of the actual ring mains supply.

If you don't understand any of this explanation, then do it your own way.
But be aware of the limitations of the safe loading on your new spur.