Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default 50mm Deep Chasing

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
dennis@home wrote:

If you really want to fulfill every regulation in the book, then you
can drill one end of the capping and fix an earth bond from it to
the new socket
/ appliance point. But that is not absolutely needed. All you
really want,
is to stop anyone banging a nail through the cable, which the
capping has already been designed to do.

No it isn't.
Its just to stop the plaster's float damaging it.
It offers *no* protection against nails or multi-construction drills.
The plastic stuff is cheaper and does the same job.

I was thinking about those multi material drills, they will drill steel
quite effectively - certainly would go through metal capping easily

enough.

Dave - The Medway Handyman

I thought we were talking about a cable that is being covered by wall units
and probably tile between worktop and wall units. For a situation like
that, then a cover to stop small picture nails is surely enough protection.

It's not a cable in the middle of a bare wall, where someone is going to
come along and start banging holes through to put up shelves and the like.
The wall units will be probably be covering most of the cable run, and the
space exposed above the units will probably not have anything other than
boxes or ornaments in it, on top of the kitchen units.

Or you could use this stuff
http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/civil...rning-tape.htm to really
make sure the kitchen fitters don't have an accident. :-)