Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default 20c all day and 18c all night?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"brass monkey" writes:
Just had a greenstar 30cdi installed.
Mother is living with us (92), we're all retired so at home most of the
time.
Are these temperatures asking for a humungous bill?
Never had CH before.

Like another poster said, that depends more on the insulation
and size of your house. Perhaps you can describe size of house,
when built, and what insulation has susequently been added
(cavity wall, loft, double glazing, etc).

I don't know what health you're all in, but I would say the
daytime temperature would generally be a bit low for someone
typical of your mother's age. OTOH, if she's never lived with
central heating before, she's probably more hardened to the
cold than most people typical of her age.

Andrew Gabriel

I just hope I'm still feeling the cold at the age of ninety two. :-)

But, to get back to the real topic of the thread, if you are all spending
time in the same rooms throughout the day, then you could lower the
temperature in the other rooms that are not in use.

Keeping the living room, hall and bathroom at the higher temperature during
the day and setting the bedrooms at a constant lower temperature, using the
radiator valves to regulate them.

As others have also pointed out in the thread, the running costs also depend
on how your house stops the heat from escaping. Your bills will be
considerably more if the heating system has to continually replenish the
warm air throughout the building, because it just keeps blowing out the
windows, doors are roof.

Your next check should be to make sure you have upgraded / repaired the
insulation properties of the building. Spending a few pounds on another
layer of loft insulation, and also hanging slightly heavier lined curtains
on the windows in winter time, can save you hundreds of pounds on the cost
of fuel bills.

I have read the Which? review on the boiler you say was installed, and it
comes out with a good score. So if the rest of the installation matches
well with your boiler, it should be quite economical on running costs.