Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default 20c all day and 18c all night?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Like another poster said, that depends more on the insulation
and size of your house. Perhaps you can describe size of house,
when built, and what insulation has susequently been added
(cavity wall, loft, double glazing, etc).

I don't know what health you're all in, but I would say the
daytime temperature would generally be a bit low for someone
typical of your mother's age. OTOH, if she's never lived with
central heating before, she's probably more hardened to the
cold than most people typical of her age.

It may well be more economical to lower the settings somewhat,
and still use whatever heating you had before (you don't say
what) to ensure that you are cosy in the room(s) you mostly
occupy.

Much depends upon the nature and flexibility of the controls,
though thermostatic radiator valves are usual on a new
installation. However the type and location of the overall
roomstat is also significant.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK