Posted to alt.video.vcr,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Evans[_3_] Travis Evans[_3_] is offline

Default Understanding timer program recording on old Sears VCR

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:49:39 -0000, Peter Hucker wrote:
The Sky box and a Sony DVD recorder both annoy me for another reason -
there is a delay of about 0.5 seconds between pressing a button on the
remote and something happening in a menu. And there is virtually no
keyboard buffer, so it gets behind what I'm pressing and does
something completely different. The sky box is even more annoying -
it has no cache, if I select a progam for recording, then go back to
the program listings, it reloads the bloody listings from the dish!

My LG DVD/VCR combo also has an annoying delay. I can't even enter the
data in using the number keys; I have to futz around with the arrow keys
for around 30 seconds just to enter one piece of data because of the
ridiculously poor UI (and exceptionally slow key response). I believe
the firmware coders were just plain lazy. It wouldn't have taken much
to make the UI significantly more tolerable even with the slow key
response.

My Philips DVD/HDD recorder is the best--I can use the arrows /or/ the
number keys, and it accepts keystrokes almost as fast as I can press
them. /That's/ the proper way to implement it.

--
Travis Evans
[Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]