Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default WTD: Old Delta 1/2hp Motor

On Oct 31, 10:02*am, Marty Escarcega wrote:
I understand. Its that the Toolmaker grinder has a cast iron motor cover,
some motor are a little big to fit under it.
Marty

The motor cover doesn't do anything useful if you have a TEFC motor
and the belt guard. I left it off to reduce the load on the badly worn
head pivots.

Your e-mail reminded me that I wanted a Univise so I bought one from
Jeff. All four dials are graduated in degrees. The country of origin
is obvious but it seems well made. I set all the dials to zero and the
top indicated level within 0.003". With the base removed it fits under
the wheel on the mag chuck. The base would be useful for milling but
it's superfluous for grinding across the top.

The hardware is strange. The pivot bolts are 3/8-16. The vise clamping
screws are 8mm with heads that measure 0.505" across. They are a loose
fit in a 13mm wrench but the one supplied is 12mm X 14mm.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a rotating & sliding collet
holder head to it. I began one for MT2 collets using a 1.000" ground
adapter. Maybe a 5C spin index would work better, or I'll stumble upon
some Harig fixture.

Jim Wilkins