Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Clean ext. wall before painting?

clipped

Thanks to all for suggestions.

I forgot to mention that this wall has plants, up to 3' tall, growing
right up against it. PITA to jam plastic back behind the plants, but
gotta do it.

Question: Between the two suggestions for cleaning:

1. Spic 'n Span + bleach, then rinse

or

2. TSP , then rinse
(I understood TSP needed very thorough rinsing as well. T/F?)

Which would be LESS damaging to the poor lil' plants? There
is bound to be runoff; plastic won't protect entirely.

TIA

I don't think it matters what detergent you use, just get the chalked
paint and dirt off.
Bleach helps kill mildew so's new paint doesn't peel.

For plants, tie them up with some old pantyhose - cheap, disposable,
don't damage
the plants. Cover plants with plastic during washing, if you are
worried. Plastic
tarp will do fine, but don't leave on with hot sun shining, cause that
can burn the plants.
In my experience, bleach won't hurt plants as long as they are rinsed.