Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default OT? Metal or plastic bucket for man lift

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:07:42 +0900, "K Ludger"
wrote:

"nick hull" wrote in message
I'm building a portable elevator to mount on my tractor's 3-point hitch
so I can reach into trees, etc. It will be based on a Genie SuperLift
24 which is rated for 24' overhead lift 0f 640#. I want something small
and light and cheap, a 55 gal drum seems a little too small to hold me
with my tools. The actual lift will be limited to 20'

A sturdy drum bigger than the std 55 gal might work, metal or plastic,
or even a wicker basket. I'm looking for ideas. Incidentally, I have
an unlimited supply of bamboo if that could be used. Any suggestions
appreciated, I usually find good ideas here

I've seen some mobile 3 wheeled single man elevators that the local shire
guys are using to prune street side trees. They dont have a basket as such,
just a waist sling + foot stand arrangement with a heavy canvas bag covering
the leg area.

That sounds like a "Brownie". A welding shop not too far
from me manufactures them. See:

http://www.goodfruit.com/adgallery/i...0%2350C0B1.jpg

or the same thing as a pdf:

http://www.goodfruit.com/pdf-ads/oct.../PhilBrown.pdf

Kind of a poor picture, but may give you some ideas...

They don't seem to have a website, I looked for one not too
long ago, unsuccessfully.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b