Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default 50mm Deep Chasing

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

Am I missing the point? Sorry, but from what I am reading above, the
cable
needs protected down a wall, under the plaster. Unless you are a complete
moron, that goes banging holes in walls with chisels and drills willy
nilly
into all parts of the building without checking first. Then a piece of
cable capping is enough protection to stop a picture nail from being
hammered through the cable.

The latest regulations require specific protection, the metal capping isn't
it.

In fact, if you are drilling into a wall, you would normally use a masonry
bit in the pistol. A masonry bit is more likely to bend the capping
before
it breaks through, which, to a normal person, gives warning because of the
sudden resistance against drill. We are talking about normal people,
aren't
we?

Do normal people use sds drills or multi-construction bits?
Either will go through the metal capping without you noticing.

The capping is also better detected by devices meant to check the area you
are about to drill into. No one said it protects the cabling from nuclear
attack, but it does offer enough protection from someone banging a nail
through it.

No it doesn't.
Masonry nails are hardened steel and will just go straight through.

If the cable is in an area prone to damage through exposure to morons,
then
either fix it surface to make it completely obvious that the cable is
where
it is. Or fix it surface inside a trunk to make it obvious that things
should not be bashed through it.

The new regs assume all areas are prone to damage.

If you have a cable that needs full protection from all types of
environments, then you would have to find a very special type of cable.

Its not to protect the cable, its not expected to survive, however the
person doing it is protected.

You could break through the inner skin and fish the cable through the
cavity, under / behind the block / brick that you don't want to cut chunks
out of.

But I thought we were talking normal. My apologies again.

And it's a lot cheaper in the long run, because you're not going to all
the
trouble of trying to fix the other options you talk about above.

Have a look in your local wholesaler for it.

Do tell him what its for, they like a laugh occasionally. ;-)

I like to have a good relationship with my suppliers. :-)