Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Bicycle Repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in
e:

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
Some moron left a pretty decent bike on my lawn (short version) and
it needed a few repairs so I did 'em.. I'm left with one I'm not
sure how to do. The tires have a wobble. Is there a method to the
madness of adjusting the spokes to help alleviate those wobbles??

TIA

All you'll do is make it worse.

Likely, you are quite correct.

But it is quite possible to improve things somewhat with a spoke
wrench.

The odds are the the rim has been damaged to the point that were all
the spokes to be removed it would not lie flat.

Unless it's a very expensive bike with expensive wheels, it just
doesn't make sense to rebuild a wheel.

I have a few old bikes laying about. One is a "folding bike" that in
some situations would be very valuable/useful. I have the room to
keep junk about but I shoud throw it out.

If I decided it was worth "keeping" it would make sense to buy a cheap
bike with the same size wheel and take the wheels off the cheap bike
and put them on the folding bike.

All that said, it is quite possible to completely rebuild a wheel by
removing all the spokes and then making the rim lie flat while
maintain its round shape and then re-instaling the spokes. Of
course, it's easy to damage the rim beyond any repair.

The first step is to buy a book or two that describes how to do it.
There is no law that says you have to re-spoke in the same pattern as
the orginal wheel. The books will help you decide what pattern to
use. You can also replace the hub and/or get a new rim for a
completely fresh start.

I used to be "up" on this stuff but no more. I no longer read bike
magazines but when I did there are ads for bike parts, etc.

Reminds me as a kid,when I found a bike in someones trash,and decided to
fit it up so I would have a bike, The rear wheel was missing half it's
spokes and was warped terribly.I bought lots of new spokes,and took out all
the old ones before installing the new ones.
When I saw that I was hopelessly lost,went to my dad for help.

He took one look,and took me out and bought me a new bike.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik