Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Bicycle Repair

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
Some moron left a pretty decent bike on my lawn (short version) and it
needed a few repairs so I did 'em.. I'm left with one I'm not sure how
to do. The tires have a wobble. Is there a method to the madness of
adjusting the spokes to help alleviate those wobbles??

TIA

All you'll do is make it worse.

Likely, you are quite correct.

But it is quite possible to improve things somewhat with a spoke wrench.

The odds are the the rim has been damaged to the point that were all the
spokes to be removed it would not lie flat.

Unless it's a very expensive bike with expensive wheels, it just doesn't
make sense to rebuild a wheel.

I have a few old bikes laying about. One is a "folding bike" that in some
situations would be very valuable/useful. I have the room to keep junk
about but I shoud throw it out.

If I decided it was worth "keeping" it would make sense to buy a cheap bike
with the same size wheel and take the wheels off the cheap bike and put them
on the folding bike.

All that said, it is quite possible to completely rebuild a wheel by
removing all the spokes and then making the rim lie flat while maintain its
round shape and then re-instaling the spokes. Of course, it's easy to
damage the rim beyond any repair.

The first step is to buy a book or two that describes how to do it. There
is no law that says you have to re-spoke in the same pattern as the orginal
wheel. The books will help you decide what pattern to use. You can also
replace the hub and/or get a new rim for a completely fresh start.

I used to be "up" on this stuff but no more. I no longer read bike
magazines but when I did there are ads for bike parts, etc.