Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sudy Nim Sudy Nim is offline

Default Grounding roof antenna?

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Oct 28, 2:23 pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
"PeterD" wrote in message

news
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:30:54 GMT, "Sudy Nim"
wrote:

Installed new roof antenna, with new tripod mount and 10 foot pole (about

30ft.
roof to soil). Instructions say nothing about grounding. I have lived here

(far
Chicago suburbs) 44 years and always connected tripod to soil pipe about 20

feet
away. Never had a problem with lighting strike, excluding several power

line
incidents. Question to ground or not to ground? TIA

Code usually requires grounding.

Thanks to all, appreciate your replies. I wired it to ground today.
Sudy Nim

I hope you used a wire somewhat bigger than 26 gauge. Altho a direct
lightning strike of 20,000 amps or more will vaporize anything you
could reasonably use, the ground will help in the event of a nearby
strike. How far west of Chicago are you. I'm 28 miles out and we
get some humdingers here.

I used 1/8 inch galvanized wire rope. The grounding question appears to have

influenced some related interesting discussions. My property is in kind of a
valley, I'm about 20 feet lower than the surrounding area. The only lighting
problems I experienced at home are power line strikes, which resulted in blown
power line transformers, damaged TV's, appliances and burned out wall outlets.
Prior to retirement I made my living in the TV service industry so I have
personally seen the results of lighting. I often pondered if grounding the
antenna just attracts lighting? Just as I can not visualize how a radio or TV
dropped into a bathtub of water would electrocute you. But, I'll let someone
else experiment with that. Looks, as if we could be neighbors, you must know of
DuPage County?