Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning MICA

john young wrote:
Have aquired some pen blanks in this material. Does anyone have any
experience in turning this and can offer advice. I realise it will
need very sharp tools, but am a little concerned about sanding and
polishing, so any help would be much appreciated.

John

You must jest. I don't think you can turn Mica with a normal tool.

You might get away with it by sanding.

You are talking stone and it is hard material and thin layers.

The basic material is AlSi3O10 with other KAL2(OH)2 tacked on.

So you are basically cutting an Aluminum oxide material.

They make sand paper with that material. Then another Aluminum oxide
within the matrix.

Carbide is the cutting tool. High speed steel will be cut or dulled
rapidly. Carbide uses pressure to cut and not a sharp edge - so it isn't
what is needed.

Use a Garnet sandpaper - Garnet will likely cut it. You might have to
get green paper boron...

Likely the method - spin it on the lathe and use a Dremel with a green wheel.

Martin