Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Meyer Bob Meyer is offline

Default Making whistles, still...

I've made a few whistles myself.....
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=powaybob

Bob

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On 26 Oct 2008 16:10:53 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Had a waking moment yesterday and discovered that making open
whistles is ten times easier than making ones that are closed on top. Have
decided it's because there's one less variable. At present I've got 4 of
12
set to rights; by days end I hope to have an 'octave' of 12. They're going
into my programmable calliope. A few semi-recent photos he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3839244...7608281318568/
...but I hope to put up a few more this evening.

I saw an interesting use of a steam whistle.

it was mounted on an old aircraft wing which sat above the bar/coffee
counter in a large hangar. hanging down from the wing above the bar
was a parachute D ring on a lanyard to the steam whistle which was
connected to the shop compressed air.

when ever evening beer commenced or when the jug was boiled for a
cuppa a lean on the parachute ring would produce a melodious
Whoooooooooo echoing around the hangar roof.

all and sundry from the surrounding hangars would convene for a chat.
a damn civilised use of a steam whistle I thought.

(a hangar on Aldinga Airfield in South Australia )

Stealth Pilot