Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary A in KC[_2_] Gary A in KC[_2_] is offline

Default Short Review: Greene & Greene Design Elements for the Workshop

Read this book last spring and contacted Darrell via email through his
website.
I finally met him over the summer and took his weekend G&G details class.
Really nice guy and really into the G&G look. Got a chance to visit him in
his shop and he was very helpful in letting me learn how he makes his G&G
Aurora pedastel desk which I'm currently building out of claro walnut.
Can't say enough nice things about him.

Gary in KC

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Just finished reading Darrell Peart's "Greene & Greene Design Elements

for
the Workshop".

All in all I found it a very good book, providing an historical overview
of Greene & Greene and their collaboration with Peter and John Hall during
the Ultimate Bungalow design days. The evolution of Charles' designs and
the craftsmanship that the Halls brought to the collaboration was
enlightening. A summary of G&G design elements as well as some historical
perspective is provided. The book then transitions to some detailed
expositions for re-creating G*G design elements in the modern shop.
Various design elements including the cloud lifts, leg indent details,
ebony plugs, reliefs, brackets, etc. are provided in great detail. The
final chapters provide the interpretation of G&G by three woodworkers (one
of them being Peart).

If you are interested in the Greene and Greene legacy of the Arts &

Crafts
movement, this is a worthwhile addition to your library.

For those who are interested, the book ISBN is 094193696-1