Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier - drain into sump pump?

On Oct 29, 9:24*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Lee B" wrote in message

Yet another dehumidifier question. (For a vacant house . . .
Can I drain the dehumidifier into the sump pump? (OK, I know I *can*,
but is it a good idea?). Someone told me once not to, because the water
would just go back into the air and maintain the humidity.

In some places this might work, in others not. *We do
not know if this house is in Florida at sea level or in
Maine halfway up a mountain.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

In those places where it won't work, how can the small amount of water
from the dehumidifier present a problem and the water present in the
sump pit from the ground not? If the sump pit is dry, the water just
gets absorbed into the ground and probably 95%+ of it isn't going to
evaporate back into the basement. If the sump pit has ground water
in it already and is running occasionally, then adding the
dehumidifier water isn't going to change a thing. QED

Also, there are dehumidifiers available that have built in drain
pumps. I wouldn't get one for this app, but for more flexibilitly or
other apps they are available.