Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default 10ee VFD mounting

On 2008-10-29, jw wrote:

* * * * O.K. *What kind of switch is it?

* * * * If a "drum" switch, with a lever moving from "REV" to "OFF" to
"FWD", and a three phase motor, you should expect three wires in, and
three wires out and the switch (with line three phase, not with the VFD)
goes between the line and the motor. *One line is simply set up for
"CONNECT/OPEN/CONNECT", while the other pair are set up to be straight
through in forward, and swapped in reverse. *But this is six wires. *And
you can use one of the swapped input wires as the COMMON for the VFD
and the two swapped motor phase wires to go to the FORWARD and REVERSE
control points on the VFD.

I'm not sure what sort of switch it is. It's integral to the casting,
and I have not found a way to remove it to review the actual
contacts.

O.K. Is there a lever which you move from REVERSE to STOP to
FORWARD (common with a drum switch), or are there three pushbuttons
(FORWARD, REVERSE, and STOP in whatever order the maker though made
sense)? The latter format is normally used for controlling contactors
(heavy duty relays), while the drum switch normally switches the high
current to the motor directly -- at least in the original system. Since
this is a Monarch 10EE, (I had missed that before), it is likely the
latter since it is controlling a DC motor, not a three phase one, though
it might still *look* like a drum switch with the lever.

Aha -- I think that I've found an illustration which shows the
switch. A lever near the spindle and just a little below it.

The two extra wires don't seem to ohm out to anything
useful that I can find. For all I know they don't go anywhere. The
three I have identified will work quite well for the FWD/REV function
on the VFD.

O.K. Are the other two connected together *except* when you
press the STOP button?

Never mind -- not a button. But are the black wires connected
together except when the FORWARD/STOP/REVERSE lever is in the STOP
position? If so, then they can be used for the stop function to the
VFD, and the momentary start ones from the others. Or -- as long as the
FORWARD and REVERSE wires hold connection to common as long as the lever
is in the corresponding position, you can simply put some wire nuts on
the black wires and tuck them away somewhere.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564