Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Time of year

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Rob G" wrote in message

Thanks Adam. I think that might be just what I want for the heating. It
doesn't really matter how it works - so long as it can cope with the
government changing the rules.

Edgar

Ahhh .. that's the point. The radio ones will adjust to an external
signal, but the others that re-set themselves are like the clock in your
PC - it's 'hard-wired' in and will change regardless of any government
on the last Sunday in October and whenever it is in March.

The one in your PC will change when it should, or at least it will under
windows as the rules are downloaded from windows update.

The 9th EC directive on the issue has confirmed the dates as the last
Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October. Furthermore, the directive
now says this rule is to apply "indefinitely". Since 1981 the dates in all
member states have been governed by such directives. The indefinite nature
of the ruling means it is worthwhile building the rules in to equipment.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/empl...page12528.html

In the old days, when memory was expensive, Zeller's Congruence was used to
ascertain the day of the week from date mathematically (I still have a
program somewhere - useful for getting the day of your birth etc). I guess
now memory is cheap it's just a look up table.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not