Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Dehumidifier - drain into sump pump?

On Oct 29, 6:07*pm, Lee B wrote:
Yet another dehumidifier question. (For a vacant house, so I need to use
a hose rather than bucket). And yeah, I probably will end up buying the
Sears one if only because it's simpler and I can at least get them to
lift it into my car. Not that I want to waste money, but I don't need it
to last forever... just until I sell the house!

Can I drain the dehumidifier into the sump pump? (OK, I know I *can*,
but is it a good idea?). Someone told me once not to, because the water
would just go back into the air and maintain the humidity. Now I'm
wondering how true that is, since there is one of those cement covers
over the hole. Left to its own devices, the sump pump doesn't empty very
often, other than in storms. The alternatives are running the hose into
the shower stall or trying to hoist the daggone machine up onto the wet
bar counter and run it into the sink... neither of which strike me as
very attractive alternatives for potential buyers to see! (And no, no
floor drain - there is a large pipe that goes into the floor from the
washing machine stand pipe, so I'm assuming that's where a drain used to
be).

Run to sump pit unless sink drains without the pump, using a sump pit
wont raise humidity. You need a low temp unit and then they only go
down so far, maybe 45f