Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Odd Breaker Arangement

"John Beckman" wrote in message
Greetings,
I was looking at a 1955 bungalow with what is probably an updated
electrical panel. However, there was no typical "main breaker" at the top,
there were just two rows of breakers on each side. the stove and water
heater had the typical tied breakers that would indicate that it is a 240
volt breaker. However, at the top left side of the panel there were three
100 amp breakers, side by side with their handles tied together. If it was
just two tied together, I'd just say OK 100 amp service and these are the
mains, BUT there were three of them. What gives, I'm thinking of buying
the place and want to know what kind of elec service it has. Unfortunately
I did not remove the panel cover, and I don't know the brand. Suggestions?
Speculation

John

It would certainly help to have pictures, or Make and model. If it has three
handles tied together, it's possible that it's a three phase service