Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Odd Breaker Arangement

Nate Nagel wrote:
dpb wrote:
John Beckman wrote:
However, at the top left side of the panel there were three 100 amp
breakers, side by side with their handles tied together. If it was
just two tied together, I'd just say OK 100 amp service and these are
the mains, BUT there were three of them. ...

It would be wrong, but I'd venture the ground/neutral is the third one...

--

or... really out there... 120V three phase? (would be 208V when two
phases are connected?) How many conductors in the service entrance?

It would be most unusual, but I suppose not impossible. I considered
it, but rejected it (3P, that is) as being more likely a homeowner klutz
retrofit job where lacking the one disconnect breaker of some of the
cheap panels, they doofus put all three feeds onto single breakers.

But, now I think about it a little more, that wouldn't seem likely
either as the third leg would have to be isolated and those boxes
wouldn't have that as an option w/o modification.

My current guess is "I don't know; need more data (like a pitchur)"...