Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Dehumidifier - drain into sump pump?

Lee B wrote:
Yet another dehumidifier question. (For a vacant house, so I need to
use a hose rather than bucket). And yeah, I probably will end up
buying the Sears one if only because it's simpler and I can at least
get them to lift it into my car. Not that I want to waste money, but
I don't need it to last forever... just until I sell the house!

Can I drain the dehumidifier into the sump pump? (OK, I know I *can*,
but is it a good idea?). Someone told me once not to, because the
water would just go back into the air and maintain the humidity. Now
I'm wondering how true that is, since there is one of those cement
covers over the hole. Left to its own devices, the sump pump doesn't
empty very often, other than in storms. The alternatives are running
the hose into the shower stall or trying to hoist the daggone machine
up onto the wet bar counter and run it into the sink... neither of
which strike me as very attractive alternatives for potential buyers
to see! (And no, no floor drain - there is a large pipe that goes
into the floor from the washing machine stand pipe, so I'm assuming
that's where a drain used to be).

I can't see a problem with that and support Paul's comment.It's not going to
increase evaporation going into a wet well that's covered.