Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Grounding roof antenna?

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

GMAN wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Let me know when you have over 1400 strikes in an hour.

You havent seen lightning till you have lived with a desert on one side and a
mountain range on the other side like we have here in Northern Utah.

Having a huge inland sea/lake primarily made out of salt from prehistoric
Lake Bonneville a few miles from your front door doesnt help either.

Yawn. The Central Florida area is the highest lightning area in the
country. Water everywhere, and almost as flat as your desert. I have
been inside buildings with no windows that were lit up like daylight
from the constant strikes. So close together that one hasn't completely
faded away before another one hits. The thunder so bad that the entire
building was shaking for over an hour, with no electricity, plus wind
and rain so hard you didn't dare step outside.

I have seen concrete buildings damaged, and lost a lot of electronics
as well. One TV studio got a direct hit on the building, past the
service entrance, and took out all kinds of equipment, including items
that weren't connected to anything.

Like the warming trend here in Pittsburgh, well this last summer was not as hot
as the previous two, but all the leaves are usually on the ground, or at
least thats the way it was 10 years ago. Its been unusually quiet
as thunder storms go. I sort of miss them. We have hill after hill, after hill, etc.
The worst and most trecherous sounding storm I have encountered, was up
right off Lake Erie, on flat land. I was scarred.

I was installing some guy poles off my new deck for a sun shade, out
of steel piping. I also attached some wiring to a ground post.
First time I ever put one of those long things in the ground. I still want to ground the steel
roof of my shed attached to the garage.

greg