Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GMAN GMAN is offline

Default Grounding roof antenna?

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Oct 28, 2:23 pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
"PeterD" wrote in message

news
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:30:54 GMT, "Sudy Nim"
wrote:

Installed new roof antenna, with new tripod mount and 10 foot pole

(about
30ft.
roof to soil). Instructions say nothing about grounding. I have lived

here
(far
Chicago suburbs) 44 years and always connected tripod to soil pipe about

20
feet
away. Never had a problem with lighting strike, excluding several power

line
incidents. Question to ground or not to ground? TIA

Code usually requires grounding.

Thanks to all, appreciate your replies. I wired it to ground today.
Sudy Nim

I hope you used a wire somewhat bigger than 26 gauge. Altho a direct
lightning strike of 20,000 amps or more will vaporize anything you
could reasonably use, the ground will help in the event of a nearby
strike. How far west of Chicago are you. I'm 28 miles out and we
get some humdingers here.

Let me know when you have over 1400 strikes in an hour.

You havent seen lightning till you have lived with a desert on one side and a
mountain range on the other side like we have here in Northern Utah.

Having a huge inland sea/lake primarily made out of salt from prehistoric
Lake Bonneville a few miles from your front door doesnt help either.