Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default How can I cut a 90 degree groove (Picture Link)

"jugglerguy" wrote in message
I'm planning to build a desk for my son. I built him a log bed a few
years ago and I'd like to make a desk to match. I'm not a very
skilled woodworker, so I need some advice. I'd like to add vertical
logs to the corners of the desk, but I'm not sure how to make a notch
the length of the log so it fits onto the corner of the desk. I
imagine I'll have to make some sort of a jig that will run in the
miter gauge slot of my table saw. I'll run the log through, rotate it
90 degrees and run it through again. My question is, how do I attach
the log to this sled that runs in the miter gauge slot? If I use
screws, I'll run the risk of hitting them with my blade. Have any of
you done this? Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of a quick and dirty way to jig up a log to cut out a
90deg wedge. This image assume wasting an inch or two of each end, but the
basic concept might be used to setup a re-usable jig using zip ties or other
clamping fixtures to not waste any of the ends. with a little creativity.
I don't really have the time, to draw out and detail the re-usable jig ideas
I have floating around in my head, but this one minute sketch should
demonstrate the concept.

http://www.yumabassman.com/gallery/d...hp?image_id=44

Bob La Londe