Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default How can I cut a 90 degree groove the length of a log?

On Oct 28, 8:06*pm, wrote:
On Oct 28, 6:45*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Not quite sure what you are trying to do.

But if I was goint to put a long dado groove into a log, I would use a
router. *I would build a jig to run the router on. And I would screw into
that section of the log where the wood is going to be removed.

I don't think this is a job for a router. *I'm going to start with a
cedar log about 3 inches in diameter. *When I'm finished with this
log, I should be able to look at it from the end and see a 90 degree
wedge removed, like a quarter of a piece of pie gone. *This pie piece
will extend from one end of the log to the other. *Four of these logs
will be attached to the edges of a box, just for decorative purposes.

Here's a link to a picture of a desk that is similar to the one I plan
to build:http://www.logfurnitureplace.com/Office/Den-Log-Desks/c54_75/p579/'Co...

Thanks again.

Hard to tell from the pictures how they did it - could have cut slots
into the "logs" to catch the drawer frame material.

You could do what you propose with a router as well as cutting a
"slot" that you repeat / widen would result in the ninety degree . cut
you describe use a long 1/2" bit that cuts a flat bottom and mve to
the outside of the log until all material is removed and viola, you
have it.