Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Lock locations

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
John wrote:
I just wondered why Yale locks were always fitted at eye level but
mortise locks were fitted half way up the door (traditionally)

You can't fit a mortice lock at or near a mortice & tennon joint in the
door cos it weakens it, so it has to go above or below. You can fit a
Yale almost anywhere.

So for max security on a door with a M&T joint halfway ish up it makes
sense to have one lock below & one above the halfway ish point. Since the
Yale is used more frequently it makes sense to have in in the top half.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Incidentally - I was thinking back to the good old days before break ins.
Our old house only had a Yale front and a surface type of lock on the back
door. I suspect this was typical.