Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Damage recirculating pump?

wrote in message
On Oct 28, 5:44 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

I live in a condo building that has one water heater for all 20 units
and a recirculating pump to keep the water warm to all units. I didn't
know we had a recirc. pump and was going to have some plumbing work
done. The plumber wouldn't do the work unless he could verify whether
we had one and if so, turn it off before turning off the building's
main water. He said that turning off the water without turning off the
pump would damage the pump. However, thinking back on previous
emergencies other people have had in the building, the water has been
shut off in the past, sometimes for several hours, without damaging
the pump.

Can turning off the water damage a recirculating pump?

Running a pump with no water flow can damage the pump.

Thanks Bob. Do you know if there's an amount of time it can run
without water or if certain kinds of pumps can be damaged more than
others? I trust that you and my plumber are telling the truth, I'm
just trying to explain why our pump was not damaged when the water has
been turned off in the past.

Thanks!

It may very well have been damaged. It doesn't necessarily show up
immediately