Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grounding roof antenna?

On Oct 28, 2:23*pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
"PeterD" wrote in message

news
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:30:54 GMT, "Sudy Nim"
wrote:

Installed new roof antenna, with new tripod mount and 10 foot pole (about

30ft.
roof to soil). Instructions say nothing about grounding. I have lived here

(far
Chicago suburbs) 44 years and always connected tripod to soil pipe about 20

feet
away. Never had a problem with lighting strike, excluding several power line
incidents. Question to ground or not to ground? TIA

Code usually requires grounding.

Thanks to all, appreciate your replies. I wired it to ground today.
Sudy Nim

I hope you used a wire somewhat bigger than 26 gauge. Altho a direct
lightning strike of 20,000 amps or more will vaporize anything you
could reasonably use, the ground will help in the event of a nearby
strike. How far west of Chicago are you. I'm 28 miles out and we
get some humdingers here.