Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John Weeks John Weeks is offline

Default Laying out and drilling an index disk

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:57:10 +0000, John
wrote:

Hi John, not exactly sure of the design of your indexing disk, ( A
picture would help - but not here)

Have you considered a different approach
24 is half of 48
48 is half of 96

Rather than drill 96 holes, is there a way you can apply an offset to
the indexing pin ?

I.e.

----------o
-----------------o
-----------------------o

On my chuck I have a number of holes which I can locate the indexing
pin into.

The indexing arm is fixed to the lathe.

But supposing the arm is square section . Make a sliding attachment that
has 3 pins in it.

Each pin offset from the index arm mount by say half inch the closest
pin to the chuck being half inch long the middle one being 3/4 inch and
the closest to the head stock being 1 inch. The reason for the length
variations is to ensure the next pin is clear of obstructions on the
chuck

If you have a round arm you could make a simple 4 way offset indexing
guide which rotates on the arm and is located by a pin in through the
shaft. Made from a square section with hole in middle to fit arm, you
then fit a pin in each face at a suitable offset.

There may be a minor issue with the curvature of the indexing ring , but
I am sure you can overcome it

I understand in your suggestion. My built in index is inside the
headstock, there is a spring loaded pin that goes through the
headstock to lock the shaft.

I've got index holes on my Vicmarc chuck, but I want to be able to
index things on a faceplate.

Thanks for the idea, though.

JW