Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Laying out and drilling an index disk

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:15:46 -0700, John Weeks wrote:

This time I'm going to print a compass template with 48 radii and
position the bit by eye. The individual holes may be off slightly but
they should each be within a certain degree of error from the right
point.

Anybody have any better way of doing this?

I thought about using the index on the lathe, drilling the 24 holes,
then slipping the disk half the distance and going around again. But
I'd have to build a positioning jig for lathe drilling first.

How about drilling the 24 holes on the lathe and then making up a jig from
plywood (or whatever) and affix two dowels that will fit into any two
adjacent holes of the 24. Find the center and drill a guide hole for one
halfway in between. Repeat with a new jig for 96.