Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How can I cut a 90 degree groove the length of a log?

If you have a long enough bessy parallel jaw clamp then.

Lets say it is a 30" long, 3" log
Lay the log on the table
Lay the 36" clamp on the table on its side parallel to the log
Slide the log 1 1/4" into the clamp jaws at each end, leaving 1 3/4
free
Clamp it tight
Butting the back side of the clamp against the fence, rip a 1 1/2"
deep slot at the center of the log
(Note, extend the fence edge as needed with a long 2x4).
Rotate the log 90 degrees and clamp it in the same manner as before
(note the waste should be on the free side away from the clamp and the
fence, unless the clamp jaws are deep enough to hold both the finished
log and the waste.
Repeat the rip cut

Note, I have never done this but have contemplated it for some time.
If you feel your balls lifting into your body cavity as you hear the
table blade wind up, then consider some plan B. That is lifes little
(or big) alarm bells you are feeling. I think I would feel ok with
this as long as the clamp felt like it had a good bite.

On Oct 28, 3:23*pm, jugglerguy wrote:
I'm planning to build a desk for my son. *I built him a log bed a few
years ago and I'd like to make a desk to match. *I'm not a very
skilled woodworker, so I need some advice. *I'd like to add vertical
logs to the corners of the desk, but I'm not sure how to make a notch
the length of the log so it fits onto the corner of the desk. *I
imagine I'll have to make some sort of a jig that will run in the
miter gauge slot of my table saw. *I'll run the log through, rotate it
90 degrees and run it through again. *My question is, how do I attach
the log to this sled that runs in the miter gauge slot? *If I use
screws, I'll run the risk of hitting them with my blade. *Have any of
you done this? *Thanks for your help.