Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default How can I cut a 90 degree groove the length of a log?

"jugglerguy" wrote in message
90 degrees and run it through again. My question is, how do I attach
the log to this sled that runs in the miter gauge slot? If I use
screws, I'll run the risk of hitting them with my blade. Have any of
you done this? Thanks for your help.

I'd nail a straight 2x4 or some other straight edge to the log and use it to
guide a router. Move the 2x4 to the other side of the cut and repeat. Since
the desk leg will fill any visible parts of the slot you've cut, it won't
matter if the router cuts too deep in some spots because of uneven long
surface.

Essentially, you could do the same thing with the table saw. In that case,
the 2x4 would ride on the table saw surface with some type of spacer thinner
than the 2x4 between it and the saw fence.