Posted to uk.d-i-y
tonyjeffs[_2_] tonyjeffs[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on thin wall with high insulation for shaded side ofproposed conservatory

On Oct 28, 11:47*pm, jim wrote:
On 27 Oct, 23:04, tonyjeffs wrote:

I intend to build a uPVC conservatory onto the back of the rear living
room of our semi. It needs planning permission because it is 4m deep.

One side wall of the conservatory will be adjacant *to the 7' *high
party-wall wall that runs the length of the garden, so it won't get
any sun and if I use a standard *uPVC panel it will lose a lot of
heat. *If I build a cavity brick/block wall instead, it'll solve the
insulation problem and satisfy Planning , but it would make the
conservatory considerably narrower.

Is there a thin walling material, maybe 3" thick, *that has high
insulation properties, and *that might satisfy planning, that I could
use instead?

Thanks

Tony

Will you miss 5 odd inches off 4m?
I'd reconsider the cavity wall - fill cavity with as much insulation
as you can get in (measured thermally rather than volume i.e. use
Kingspan etc). That will leave you with the inner skin acting as
thermal mass that will absorb heat during warm hours and release it
later - so extending the use of the space & maybe helping some tender
plants surivive/last a bit longer in these cold dark days...
cheers
Jim- Hide quoted text -

Losing 5 inches wouldn't be terrible, but I think it is better if I
can avoid it. It might be more than 5 inches if planning require some
distance between the new cavity wall and the garden party wall. I'll
have to talk with them.
I've never applied for planning permission before and am not sure how
it works. Presumably I submit my preferred design, and if they say no,
they'll give me the opportunity to modify it until it suits them.

If I didn't need planning permission, I'd make use of the existing
non-waterproof 8" thick concrete block garden wall as the outer skin,
put up a horizontal DP membrane of blue visquine, then Kingspan, then
an inner skin of block (& brick where it's visible), then finish with
plasterboard.
The garden wall is made of interlocking 8x8x9 blocks, like Lego. They
aren't cemented together.
Perhaps I should apply for exactly that and see where it gets me.
I'll phone up and have a word with Planning doday.

Thanks again

Tony