Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell[_3_] Steven Campbell[_3_] is offline

Default Makita TD020DSE

"Rod" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:
Went and bought one after the recommendations here.
I've only been playing about with it so far but not sure its sounding to
healthy.
It sounds like my old cordless drill when it has reached the torque
setting of putting a screw in.
Although the Makita sounds like this from about half way of putting the
screw in, it still continues to drive the screw in with that ratchet
sound but very slowly.
The batteries are fully charged.
Is this normal?

Cheers

Steven.

Your description of the sound seems about right.

What size screw into what substrate? If large screw into hard substrate,
try a smaller (finer) screw into a softer surface. Does that work better?

For most of my use into wood and wood-based substances, it works
excellently. Soemtimes not so happy with big screws that are very tight
into plastic wall plugs.

Your description does sound like what happens as the battery fades. Have
you actually discharged and fully recharged one?

(Mind, as I have previously posted, the first screw I used it for was a
6xlong ultra turbo into a tough old fence post. Took a while but it was
driven right in including being countersunk - with no hole.)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure its working properly as I just used
it properly to put some 4x50mm Turbogold screws into some battens.
The screws would go in about 10mm then start to make that ratchet sound as
if the driver was struggling, but put them in no problem.

Thinner screws go into soft wood in much the same way. the screws go in
maybe half way and then the sound of the ratchet starts!!

Since the driver is new I haven't been able to discharge the battery but
made sure it was fully charged.

Steven.