Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Alcoholic discussion - ac versus dc motors

Fred wrote:
Fred wrote:

To get the advantages of 3 phase, each waveform has to be close to
sinusoidal.

No it doesn't.

3 phase as far as a motor is concerned, simply means it knows which way
to go round.

What on earth are you talking about? Are you seriously suggesting that
it doesn't matter what the waveform is for each of the phases, that you
can still tell me which way the motor will turn? Wow.

As long as they are 120 degrees apart, it doesn;t matter whether they are
sine, square or spikes. It will go round

If we're measuring degrees then it implies a sinusoid, though in practise
there would be harmonics of the fundamental.

If we apply an arbitrary waveform to each phase of a 3 phase motor, I can
assure you will not be able to tell which way it will turn.