Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Two breaks for one circuit

drhender wrote:
Recently, I was replacing a light fixture in my home. When I
attempted to cut the breaker to that fixture, I discovered that I had
to turn off two breakers to kill the circuit that includes the light
fixture. My assumption then, is that the two circuits (one for each
breaker) that should be separate have somehow been crossed together
such that they both breakers effectively power a single circuit.

I'd like to fix the problem. Is there a simple way to determine where
the two circuits have been connected?

There are two approaches as I see it:
1. Follow the wiring and split it somewhere in the middle, as others
have suggested.
OR
2. Pick one breaker, disconnect it, and remove the wiring back to the
first junction box. An alternate to removing the wire, re-route it to
a box and install a plug so you don't have a bare live wire dangling.