Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default wireless reading of electric meter

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
BzzzzzzzzzzzzT! wrong. they don't drive by.

"Bryce" wrote in message

My guess as to how it works: The drive by sends a radio signal asking
nearby meters to respond. Each sends back its meter number and current
KWH reading along with a checksum, probably encrypted. Some of the
later as the vehicle continues down the road.

It totally depends on what AMR method the utility chose. Some do a drive
by where equipment in the vehicle sends an interrogation to the
transponders which then respond with their S/N and the meter reading.
Before our local utility went to PLC AMR they actually had walk by
meters. The meter reader had a hand held reader and there was an
inductive coupler in the meter. That way the reader just had to place
the reader close to the meter which greatly minimized misreads.