Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default wireless reading of electric meter

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
The electric company won't have a clue about it, ...

I'm quite sure there are a number of individuals in "the electric
company" that will and do have quite a significant "clue about it"...

Let's try not misquoting people eh? The actual quote was "The electric
company won't have a clue about it, and the brain dead CSR you're likely
to get will think you're trying to steal power.". Yes, someone in the
meter department probably has access to the remote read link
documentation, however my $5 is that there will not be a single CSR who
will know who to contact.

As someone else noted, they're not going to provide individuals w/ the
software/hardware to read them

Which is why I suggested researching the meter manufacturer, not the
utility.

but there's at least a reasonable chance
the usage data might be made available via web portal.

That is certainly a possibility in some areas.