Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default wireless reading of electric meter

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I have one of the digital meters outside that the electric company
reads while driving by.

Is there any way I can read it from inside my house?

I've been tempted to go old school and just mount a couple mirrors so
I can read it inside- but a digital reader would be handy- and
something that plugs into a computer & records usage would be
outstanding.

I'm going to call the electric company [National Grid] later today-
but thought I'd ask here so I know a little bit about it when
I call.

Thanks,
Jim

The electric company won't have a clue about it, and the brain dead CSR
you're likely to get will think you're trying to steal power.

There is at least one commercial product that does what you want:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3109_200343109

It appears the monitor the mark on the spinning disk, so your meter
needs to have that disk visible from some location on the case. I've
seen a few meters where that was not very visible.

As for the actual data link with the meter, your only source would be
the meter manufacturer, and they most likely aren't going to release
that information.