Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Basic CNC Where to Start

As you are discovering, CNC is a vast area of many cost levels. I've stayed
away from it, but there are numerous must-have-CNC machine uses for many
levels of HSM or hobbiest/metal enthusiast projects.

If I were going to pursue CNC, my approach would probably be to start with
something small such as converting an existing manual X-Y table (using 2
identical drive schemes), where a Z axis could be added as my slow grey
matter caught up to how it all works and what other work/parts would be
required.

Another CNC forum is the Chaski groups which are moderated, so that all of
the posted material is relevent to specific metalworking subjects.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

Home Shop CNC forum

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've spent much of my spare time this weekend reading on-line about
various CNC type operations in wood and metal. Looks like for big stuff
in metal you gotta chunk out about ten grand to start for a machine.

For moderately small stuff there looks to be some machines using a rotary
tool that you can be up and running including software for about $1500,
but the real machinists I have talked to so far seem to think those will
not be very accurate due to the side stress on the motors and the quality
of the bearings.

For a little more a couple outfits have regular milling machines converted
to cnc operation in the $2600 to $4000 range. They look pretty good, have
good initial precision as well as accuracy, but alas, their working range
is smaller than the rotary tool machines. Start looking at bigger working
range of travel in even two axis and the price spikes up quickly.

I am looking for a basic CNC machine that I can do plaques upto 12 by 12
give or take, and some prototype work in aluminum for molds to pour lead
and plastics. Something easy to setup and use, that will work reliably,
and that I can afford for hobby use, and that I can do my modeling on my
PC.

Where do I start? I looked at adding a CNC kit to a mill myslef, but most
affordable mills are to small to do some of the work I want to do. Am I
back to looking at the rotary tool on rails setups?